Thursday, September 30, 2004

This is just too funny (funny queer)

I can't believe I missed this (probably because I slept this afternoon) but Josh Marshall got it. All through the debate, Bush kept hammering that you can't disrespect our allies (meaning Allawi) and how can you win in Iraq if you think the prime minister is a "puppet." Well, it turns out that the Bush-Cheney campaign was "heavily involved" in the drafting of the speech Allawi gave to Congress just last week.

The unusual public-relations effort by the Pentagon and the U.S. Agency for International Development comes as details have emerged showing the U.S. government and a representative of President Bush's reelection campaign had been heavily involved in drafting the speech given to Congress last week by interim Iraqi Prime Minister Ayad Allawi. Combined, they indicate that the federal government is working assiduously to improve Americans' opinions about the Iraq conflict -- a key element of Bush's reelection message.
I mean, what the hell. And Bush can criticize Kerry for telling people the truth? If I had seen this before now, I would have been throwing tomatoes and eggs at the TV during the debate. When I see Bush on TV, I can understand the likeability that some people talk about, but then I find out all this just plain bizarre stuff and I wonder if I've stepped throught the looking glass. How can a re-election campaign even get to provide input to a foreign dignitary, let alone draft the speech themselves for partisan purposes? More has to be said about this, but I think I will have to come back to it later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home