Thursday, September 30, 2004

Well damn

I thought I might be onto something with a local who claims to have been the one to have replaced Bush in his Guard unit in the fall of 1972. This person went so far as to write a letter to the editor of the Waco Tribune-Herald to say as much. Mr. DeStaffany also claimed to have met Bush in Houston that fall, raising all kinds of questions for me. But it turns out this person is just a liar. I can say that with all confidence, though I have yet to actually interview him.

(Janet) Linke is the widow of Jan Peter Linke, who was brought into Bush's National Guard unit to replace him when Bush left the unit and the state for Alabama in May 1972.
That's in the current issue of The Nation, which I have no reason to doubt. The larger question now has to be, why did Mr. DeStaffany write that letter? Is it just pure ego, or is there something more sinister afoot? I'll get to the bottom of it when I finally talk to DeStaffany, if I ever do since his name is not in the local phone book. By the way, the gist of the Nation article is that Bush was so drunk that he was no longer able to perform (Ha ha... multiple entendres).

2 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger Ivy Dillinger said...

...always appreciate those multiple entendres...

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Nate said...

It could have been worse, I could have used my stock 'Ha ha... dangly parts', but that would have been going too far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home