Wednesday, October 20, 2004

Back at it

Over at Pandagon, Ezra writes that

Blogs were never going to eclipse the mainstream media. They would have either remained an unseen backwater of the internet or accepted coexistence with other forms of popular information dissemination. Doing the latter is, and has been, immensely important, because we're a feeder. Not only do we feed stories, fact-checks and arguments, but we feed people. As it's been, the only path to media prominence has been dictated by the hierarchal, don't-rock-the-boat ethos of most newspapers and print journalism. That blogs have emerged to offer this second, more egalitarian, elevator up is something worth celebrating. I'll be shocked if we don't produce a major media personality within the next ten years, either a ubiquitous television panelist or host.
I'm more or less in agreement, though I view the Revolution in information as represented by blogging as being inevitable. People want something new, and ho-hum journalism without a spine or a face is no longer the dish du jour, so blogging feeds them what they want. Here is part of my comment:
In as much as blogs are being commercialized, that's the way everything goes. Before there was a music industry or people were paid to write or play music (to use someone else's analogy) people hummed or whistled for fun and to amuse their friends. as a blogger myself, I would love to get paid doing something that I do well, but have too little time for because I have to work to be able to pay AOL so I can keep blogging.
Since commercialization was really the topic at hand. I've said it before, anyone who wants me to sell out can mail me a check. I'll be happy to, especially in the furtherance of blogging the Revolution. See also my previous post, inspired by Joe Trippi.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home