Saturday, October 09, 2004

Good morning, Mr. Phelps

I woke up early enough to find out there was a fund-raiser for John Mabry this morning at a friend's house. So I skipped most of the first half of the Red River Shootout to socialize amongst local Democrats, drink mamosas and meet the candidate. I signed up for volunteering and donated a few bucks that I had on hand; every little bit helps. Meeting Mabry was a treat. He is a really likeable guy. Young and energetic, you can tell he really believes that he can win. His opponent has done a lot of out-of-state fund-raising, but Mabry has been able to raise well right here in his district, which I think shows how popular he is among Independents and conservatives in our area. When I left, he took the time to stop and shake my hand and thank me for coming by. I'm not one to be star-struck by a hand shake, but you could tell he was thankful for the support people are willling to give to help him win. That means a lot to me, to know a candidate actually cares about his constituents. Mabry's staff were also friendly. I spent a lot of time discussing last night's debate with Kathy and Kristen (it was so nice to be around people that said "Kerry kicked his ass" and everyone thought I was so very knowledgeable about politics) and I got a flyer for an early-voter rally this Thursday night at campaign headquarters. I will be there, of course, and I might even try to blog imediately afterward to get my initial impressions down for you. In the meantime, go contribute to his re-election fund. If you are in the Waco, TX area, go to the rally Thursday, Oct. 14, 5-7 p.m. Mabry's campaign headquarters are at 1615 Wooded Acres Dr.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home