Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Soul Searching

I've had to do a lot of soul searching over this Sinclair thing. At first it was easy to just plan on a boycott and call advertisers to try to leverage some kind of back down. But then I remembered the Lone Star Iconoclast. I really don't like the idea of being a hypocrite, decrying boycotts one week and organizing them the next. Here are my rationales for supporting the blogsphere-wide effort against Sinclair. It's one thing to boycott a communications company that owns 62 television stations for planning to broadcast a piece of political propaganda by pretending it's news, it's another to boycott a newspaper for an endorsement in an editorial on the Opinion Page. One is a reasonable reaction in a close presidential race, the other seems to be a knee-jerk reaction to someone's right to free speech. As bad as the financial situation is for Sinclair, I don't think they are going to go belly up over this. The long-term effects will smart them whenever they think about similar action next election cycle to be sure, though, the Iconoclast lost every source of its revenue with a circulation of 420. That's a big deal. I don't know, maybe these are just self-serving rationales, but I feel that the actions being taken against Sinclair are fair and just.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home