Saturday, November 20, 2004

Before I go to sleep

I stopped at the store on the way home tonight because I wanted cookies and soda. While I was standing in line, I overheard the cashier and the guy in front of me talking about the shipping business (one worked for FedEx the other for UPS) and they were talking about how much work they are already doing in preparation for the Christmas season. When I got up to the register, I remarked on it, too. I've always thought it was in poor taste to put up Christmas decorations before Halloween is even over. That's when it happened, I got to show off my dork-like knowledge of history by informing this guy about how the official national Thanksgiving Day was moved up a week by FDR from 1939-41 so that there would be an extra week of shopping and kickstarting the economy. Republican states, of course, thought this was some kind of attack on their heritage or some such bullshit (Southerners thought that Thanksgiving itself was just New England's way of imparting their morals or lack thereof onto the South by force, which is why Southern states did not celebrate Thanksgiving at all) so they kept the old day. The revenues weren't all that much, so the date was moved back the original last Thursday of November. If you noticed, I did it again while you were reading. One of my personality quirks is that I learn a lot of trivial information, and while that helps me when I'm play Trivial Pursuit or Jeopardy, it get son other peoples' nerves. I just love showing off my knowledge, which I guess is another reason I'm a Democrat, and proud of it. That's all. I just wanted to relate my expansive wisdom to you and how I probably bothered some poor guy who has to work part-time at two jobs to pay the bills.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home