Saturday, November 13, 2004

Fools and Fanatics (or both)

Apparently James Dobson is the new kingmaker for the Religious Right. More powerful than Ralph Reed or Gary Bauer, though I'm sure many of you have never heard of either of those two guys. But I'm sure you've probably heard of Dobson. His weekly newspaper column is in 500 newspapers and he has a weekly radio show with 7 million listeners. And he is a religious conservative. So much so, in fact, that he is working on a cure for homosexuality. Never mind the genetics and hte science, Mullah Dobson can work miracles. Some of you might think that this is just more evidence of a liberal's knee-jerk reaction to religion. Well, you'd be very wrong. I'm a devout Catholic who has a very strong faith in God. I am as religious as the next guy, what Dobson is fanatically stupid. Let me explain. I understand what it means to have faith. Faith is belief in the unseen, the unknowable. I can't see God and I can't know God's will, but I can have faith that there is some great force in the universe that has a plan. If I see evidence, then I automatically don't need my faith. If there is evidence that homosexuality is genetic, then I can accept it. That is something I can see and I can know. Dobson uses religion as a scapegoat for his own warped views of the world. He uses Bible quotes to justify his own prejudices. That's not being a devout Christian, that's being a bigot. And I hate bigots. Ergo, I hate James Dobson. I cannot stand by and watch someone drag God's good name through the mud to justify stripping God's children of their God-given rights as human beings. That's not right; it's immoral. So, I'm going to spend as much time as possible pointing out Dobson's stupidity and hypocrisy, even moreso than I spend in my personal feud with Tucker Carlson.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home