Sunday, November 21, 2004

I don't really want to go into this

This is the thing this weekend (because all bloggers are C-SPAN junkies), but to be honest, I don't really want to write about it. Apparently, Sen. Istook added a provision (very secretly during reconcilliation) to the omnibus spending bill that would allow appropriations chairmen to view anyone's tax records that they choose. The GOP isn't being too forthcoming on whether or not it was Istook, but that seems rather apparent now. A staffer for Sen. Conrad of South Dakota (the other Democrat) found it late at night and he took it to the floor to be debated. During the debate Conrad made a rather reasoned argument that it was too much power for "a" chairman to have and Sen. Stevens thought he was talking about "the" chairman, namely him. Stevens threw a hissy fit. It was already too late because no one had bothered to actually read the behemoth before passing it. Josh Marshall has done most of the coverage on this story, as usual. So if you want to know more, I would scroll his site. Although I think it is importånt to tell you about this, it doesn't really interest me. The copyright infringement bill in the House is more interesting, I think. I mean, they want to stop us from skipping the previews on DVDs. Western civilization would end. OK, that's a tad overdramatic. But you can see why that is more important to me. Whether or not Stevens gets to see that I don't make enough in a year to pay income taxes isn't.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home