Sunday, November 14, 2004

I really don't want to believe this

I found this story via Raw Story and my patriotism doesn't want me to believe it. Part of me knows it is probably true, but part of me also wants to believe that Elvis is not dead and neither is JFK, and they are both in the same Texas nursing home. Basically, the US is being accused of using private planes to take terrorist suspects in custody to countries with poor human rights records like Egypt, Syria and Uzbekistan for "torture by proxy." Here's a snippet:

Witnesses described seeing the prisoners handed to US agents whose faces were masked by hoods. The clothes of the handcuffed prisoners were cut off and they were dressed in nappies covered by orange overalls before being forcibly given sedatives by suppository.
It just sounds too horrible. I don't want to believe it. I also didn't want to believe that 15 year-old boys were being abused at Abu Ghraib by U.S. troops, but Seymour Hersh proved they were. The records for the two private planes, a Gulfstream and a 737, for the past two years show more than 300 flights. All of those fllights seem to begin in Washington D.C. and the planes are being leased by the government. They are not specially modified for prisoner transport. They are corporate-type jets with tables and screens for in-flight movies and PowerPoint presentations. What exactly is going on here, I don't know. But this is definitely worth investigating.

1 Comments:

At 7:51 PM, Blogger the urban fox said...

That's horrifying. Then again, given the situation in Guantanamo Bay - situated deliberately outside US jurisdiction, attacked by Amnesty and the Red Cross for indefinite detention without charge or trial, "cruel & unusual punishment" etc - I guess it's not too much of a leap of faith.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home