Wednesday, November 03, 2004

A lot of anguish over here

I didn't have the heart to watch Kerry's concession speech. I heard part of it in the car while I was driving to the store on NPR, but I really couldn't do it. I'll read it later and I'm sure that there is a vid clip on C-SPAN's Web site that I can watch if I really want to, but not now. I did have to suffer through Bush's victory speech, though. I popped into the newsroom to get my paycheck and we obviously had it on several TVs. It just made me sick to my stomach. The part about reaching out to Democrats is particularly infuriating, because his whole campaign has been predicated on energizing his base, i.e. not us. He got elected because he had no problem putting us down and calling our values into question. And now Rove's nickname is "The Architect?" What a bunch of bullshit. As you can imagine, I'm going through a lot of emotions right now. Confusion, anguish, fear and anger. I became a political student because the election of 2000 made me feel outrage. Outrage that the Republicans had stolen the election. Outrage that so many things had gone wrong in the democratic process. Frankly, I'm a little worried that my outrage will now be levelled at the American people. I don't want to feel that way. I don't want to think so lowly of the people who prove that freedom is not an ideal, it is a reality. But time and again, we pick the person who will take away those freedoms for some false sense of security. The GOP didn't even need to steal the election, the people actually picked Bush this time. Democracy in America is broken. I'm going to thinking out loud tonight, blogging as I am wont to do, but I'm taking tomorrow off. I want to sort some things out, and I want to spend some time with my friends and get my mind off of this. So I'll see you tonight and I'll be back Friday, swinging for the fences. Stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home