Saturday, November 13, 2004

More on "fuck the south"

I've gotten some angry responses to my south bashing, including one person who claims I'm close-minded for thinking southerners are close-minded. Since I'm from Texas, doesn't that just prove my point? Or am I just getting too logical? To be fair, most of my angst about the south stems from being very irate about southerners I see. I see stupid people every day on the long drive to work, so I just naturally assume that all southerners are stupid Republicans. But assuming just makes an ass out of Uma Thurman, and then who would star in Quentin Tarantino's movies? And Lord knows there are plenty of stupid liberals, it's just that there are more stupid conservatives, like the people who decide what goes in the textbooks in the state of Texas. In fact, Texas is sort of the laughing stock of the nation this week, several papers have had stories about our recent abolition of gay marriage references, including an editorial in today's Washington Post. I say sort of because the rest of the country ends up buying the same books we do because we are such a large state and publishers don't want to make several different editions, it's not cost effective. The fact is, though, there is a distinction in education between red and blue states. People who vote Democratic tend to be more educated and the states with the highest percentage of college degrees tend to go blue. Karl Rove is quoted as saying "unless they have too much education and vote Democratic, which proves there can be too much of a good thing." So I'll just end by saying "fuck the south" and stick to that. After all, I don't want to be labeled a flip-flopper. No, actually I'll end by saying there is obviously a lot of work to be done education-wise in the south and the rest of the country. I mean, a large percentage of the electorate went to the voting booth on Election Day thinking we had found WMD in Iraq. And that wasn't the latte-drinking, PBS-watching liberals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home