Thursday, November 11, 2004

Too busy to notice what's going on around me

Leave it to the guys at BOR to write about Chet Edwards' victory before me. The Trib has written pretty extensively on the subject so I will link to one here. I will also link to the BOR post, where my comment on the subject is.

I pretty much agree. Snyder was sort of the favored coming into the race with a new gerrymandered district. The Wohlgemonster just outspent her to look more Republican in a Republican district. The rest of us here in McLennan county are more moderate. If a less-extremist GOP candidate shows up, Chet will have a real fight.

Fortunately, I don't think there's much chance of that. The GOP's alignment is trending toward extremism. The fact that Club for Growth supported Arlene when Snyder was obviously a winner is proof of that. The Republicans have an ideal, the Tom Coburns, who they want to get elected.

Hopefully, (and I say that only as political scientist, not as someone who lives here) this alignment will be almost complete by the 2006 midterms. The Republicans will field an even more extreme candidate and spend even more money to try and get them elected. And that will be true of the party generally, which is why I seriously think we Dems can make gains in the House.

Posted by Nate at November 11, 2004 07:23 PM
Which pretty much sums up how I feel on that election and the next. Which means we need to start fund-raising and quick. And we need a good chairnman to head the DNC, like Howard Dean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home