Saturday, November 13, 2004

Too weird to pass up

I came across this this morning. Just too creepy and Orwellian. Some students, who are apparently anti-war, decided to sing a Bob Dylan song at a high school talent show so some concerned parents and teachers called the a radio station to complain. They were concerned that the boys, singing "Masters of War" during rehearsal were calling for the assassination of Bush, so the Secret Service got involved. The lyrics in question:

"You might say that I'm young. You might say I'm unlearned, but there's one thing I know, though I'm younger than you, even Jesus would never forgive what you do … And I hope that you die and your death'll come soon. I will follow your casket in the pale afternoon. And I'll watch while you're lowered down to your deathbed. And I'll stand o'er your grave 'til I'm sure that you're dead."
Those are the actual yrics to the 1963 song, not some new alteration. There is no specific mention of Bush or inciting people to kill the president, so from a legal standpoint, I don't think they are facing any jail time. But you gotta admit, it's scary to think that some songs are not allowed to be sung and some books are not allowed to be read in this country anymore. We're not there yet, but it's not a very big step before we all get a copy of the "New Speak Dictionary" in the mail. And the irony that the lyrics itself is about younger people knowing better than the older generation. I'm no scholar when it comes to Bob Dylan and the early 60s music, but I would almost venture to guess that it is actually more like a metaphor for the death of the old order so the younger generation can do the responsible thing. Like the band members say, though, I'm probably just "drawing my own conclusions." Hat tip to Kevin Drum.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home