Wednesday, November 10, 2004

The worst college in America

Everyone else has offered some kind of opinion on this, so I'm throwing my hat in the ring to abolish the Electoral College. It's a stupid antiquated system meant to keep smaller states in the loop when it came to presidential elections, but it doesn't even do that anymore. Truth be told, the EC should have been abolished around the time Hayes was elected and it's evident flaws were first seen. In fact, I really don't see what good the EC does, except keep certain campaign consultants hired because they are good at electoral math. The system has been reformed many times. The 12th Amendment comes to mind. The Founding Fathers didn't quite get it right the first few times, and they didn't take into account political parties. This is a lot of rambling, not some coherent argument against a Constitutional institution. A popular vote would be much more fair, open campaigning to the entire country, not just swing states, and encourage the broadest, most appealing stances. You can only get so many votes from super conservatives in Mississippi, to win you'd have to get voters in New York and California, too.

1 Comments:

At 4:49 PM, Blogger Andy Kohtz said...

I read your post about the Electoral College, and I cannot disagree more. This was the subject of post I did a few days ago titled, The Electoral College Is Not Antiquated on my blog, Civil Banter. I would recommend that you read the opposing viewpoints deeply before throwing your hat in the ring and supporting its abolition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home