Friday, January 14, 2005

Well, duh!

Thank you Captain Obvious! The Washington Post has a story this morning headlined Iraq New Breeding Ground for Terrorists. I hate to be the guy who says "I told you so", but we who were opponnents of the war from the get-go said this would happen. It's a CIA advisor who's comment sparked this piece.

President Bush has frequently described the Iraq war as an integral part of U.S. efforts to combat terrorism. But the council's report suggests the conflict has also helped terrorists by creating a haven for them in the chaos of war.

"At the moment," NIC Chairman Robert L. Hutchings said, Iraq "is a magnet for international terrorist activity."

Before the U.S. invasion, the CIA said Saddam Hussein had only circumstantial ties with several al Qaeda members. Osama bin Laden rejected the idea of forming an alliance with Hussein and viewed him as an enemy of the jihadist movement because the Iraqi leader rejected radical Islamic ideals and ran a secular government.

I gotta tell you, I'm not impressed with the Bush guys so far. Even though Sec. Powell says we will start reducing troop numbers by the end of the year, I don't think the situation will have improved by then. We will, in essence "cut and run" which is exactly what Bush said he wouldn't do to win the election.

I know what you're thinking, how can a liberal Democrat possibly want us to keep troops there? I was always opposed to the war, I'm still opposed to the war. But I'm worried about what happens if we leave. Once we were in country, we were left with rooting for the plan. It's just that Bush didn't have a plan. If Iraq descends into total chaos, what is that going to do to the rest of the region? A region we are so heavily dependent upon because we don't listen to great minds like my good friend Dr. Gary Johnson when it comes to energy independence.

I also think that the upcoming elections aren't going to do very much good. What the Bush administration doesn't understand, and it's a fundamental principle that Republicans of all stripes seem to not understand, process matters. You can't just rush an election where large swaths of the population aren't allowed to participate then tweak the results later. The end does not justify the means. Now we're at a point that we can't not do it.

Bush keeps doing this to us, he backs us into a corner with his hair-brained schemes and we're forced to figure out what to do when they don't work. That's not a good way to run a foreign policy. Trial and error doesn't get things done it just makes a big mess when it comes to diplomatic and military matters.

I've gone on long enough. I know you don't want to hear "I told you so" anymore or maybe I'm just preaching to the choir. But we have got to own up to our mistakes, like grownups. Bush won't see we have to.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home