Wednesday, February 23, 2005

All's well that ends well

I guess things ended on a high note for the cable mix up. After several more calls about the game not being on (one lady asked about the Lady Bears golf team and another was irrate that she couldn't watch "Waco High girls vs. Kansas" and another couldn't understand why the newspaper sports clerk couldn't turn a game on the proper channel) I finally got really upset and began telling them they called the wrong number, they wanted TIME WARNER CABLE. They real high note, was that the game finally came on and all the old people that were too stupid to read the screen of the channel they were decrying were treated to a decent game. The Lady Bears won, 70-60, over Kansas. But after dealing with so many people who obviously can't tell a television from a newspaper, I wasn't shocked to find this Harris poll taken earlier this month. Some of the results show just how uninformed this electorate is.

More surprising perhaps are the large numbers (albeit not majorities) who believe the following claims not made by the president and which virtually no experts believe to be true: * 47 percent believe that Saddam Hussein helped plan and support the hijackers who attacked the U.S. on September 11, 2001 (up six percentage points from November). * 44 percent actually believe that several of the hijackers who attacked the U.S. on September 11 were Iraqis (up significantly from 37% in November). * 36 percent believe that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction when the U.S. invaded (down slightly from 38% in November).
Some of the other things in the poll, like was Saddam a threat, I think could be argued from either side. But the nationality of the people who attacked us on 9/11, you have got to be some fucking kind of moron to not know that. How can you call yourself patriotic if you can't even properly remember the 3,000 people killed that day and who and why killed them. It's sacrilege and it's infuriating. I've really just about had it. I think it is mostly the media's fault for this lack of context (i.e. reporting that the president's statements aren't true when he's just making stuff up) and the lack of real information (i.e. Brit Hume doctoring FDR's quotes on his news show). If we don't get cracking, and I'm including bloggers in this, and start informing the public about basic facts, then we are going to be living in turd city for a long time. In a democracy, the people need to make informed choices, and they don't have the tools necessary to do that.

2 Comments:

At 4:51 PM, Blogger Jonathan Versen said...

Ok Nate,
How do you propose we do this? I'm not asking to be snotty, I'm serious. Like you I am a liberal blogger,and I often get the impression that most of the people who read my posts are themselves liberal bloggers. I'd like to get past that sense of insularity,and reach more "ordinary" folk, including the practically mythical swing voters. Do you have any thoughts about the subject?

 
At 8:33 PM, Blogger MajorDad said...

Yo! Liberal boys!

You need to visit other moderate and conservative blogs to generate some controversy!

I've been known to frequent liberal blogs (tonight under the influence even) to get things going and see if I can lure people over to my site to make things interesting. I've even had Euro libs (a terrible sort) come for visits that have been quite civilized...I have a gay waiter from Florida that I'd consider a friend visit every day....while I don't necessarily approve of his lifestyle choice...it's his to make. We'll all be judged in good time by someone more capable of it than me.

I enjoy a good, spirited and educated debate among learned people.

Are you up for it?

MajorDad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home