Sunday, February 20, 2005

What is it with taping people?

A friend of President Bush's apparently taped him in the run-up to and during the 2000 presidential race without his knowledge. Aside from the interesting stuff we learn, I think it's kind of creepy that people who run for office keep getting taped when they are having private conversations with friends. Now that I've said that, on to the dirt. There's actually not a lot, but here are few choice excerpts:

Before the New Hampshire primary, Mr. Bush all but dismissed Senator John McCain, who turned out to be his strongest challenger. "He's going to wear very thin when it is all said and done," he said. When Mr. Wead suggested in June 2000 that Mr. McCain's popularity with Democrats and moderate voters might make him a strong vice presidential candidate, Mr. Bush almost laughed. "Oh, come on!" He added, "I don't know if he helps us win." ... Mr. Bush bristled at even an implicit aspersion on his past behavior from Dan Quayle, the former vice president and a rival candidate. "He's gone ugly on me, man," Mr. Bush told Mr. Wead. Mr. Bush quoted Mr. Quayle as saying, "I'm proud of what I did before 40." "As if I am not!" Mr. Bush said. ... Early on, though, Mr. Bush appeared most worried that Christian conservatives would object to his determination not to criticize gay people. "I think he wants me to attack homosexuals," Mr. Bush said after meeting James Robison, a prominent evangelical minister in Texas. But Mr. Bush said he did not intend to change his position. He said he told Mr. Robison: "Look, James, I got to tell you two things right off the bat. One, I'm not going to kick gays, because I'm a sinner. How can I differentiate sin?" ... He refused to answer reporters' questions about his past behavior, he said, even though it might cost him the election. Defending his approach, Mr. Bush said: "I wouldn't answer the marijuana questions. You know why? Because I don't want some little kid doing what I tried."
That's some interesting stuff. That last one could almost be construed as an admission to having tried marijuana. But we'll never really know, I guess.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home